Friday, January 30, 2009

Chocoholics Anonymous-My life savers

Have I ever shared with you a great talent of mine? It's a great one, I'm extremely proud. I have the ability to spend years and years believing, thinking and miss understanding what someone says or sings and then make a fool of myself in front of tons of people by stating what I think to be the true name or lyrics. Yes, yes, I know you're completely jealous. Just contain yourself.


Growing up and well into my adult life, until Duane so graciously corrected me, oh who am I trying to fool, he had a hoot at my expense, believing that Light Sabers, the light wielding swords of Luke and Vader were really called.....

these! Lifesavers! Well they can save your life, made sense to me. So after my chocolate fiasco I turned to my life saver, not Luke's sword or a cherry confection.

Not even the kind that would really save your life, but the kind that would save a chocoholics soul.




A simple box of Dove chocolate and a yummy chocolate chip cookie recipe, loaded with 3 types of chocolate.


First, after burning 2 batches of goodies I needed a little pick me up, my old standby, my emergency chocolate Dove kit. Every true chocoholic should have one. Mine was a gift from my sweet Duane, he knew the inner desires of my heart.


Second, after burning chocolate chip cookies I was determined to jump right back into the game and bake another batch, which had to be good, they were for a baby shower. I visited my cookie guru, Katrina at Baking and Boys! for a yummy cookie recipe. I did alter the recipe and add mini chocolate chips, 60% dark chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. It was a very decadent combination, lovin' it!
The Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsps. pure vanilla extract
3 cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
16 oz. flavorful bitter or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly butter them, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or a large bowl if mixing by hand, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. 2. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks. 3. Using your hands (I used my cookie scoop), shape knobs of dough about the size of a large walnut and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Stagger the rows of cookies to ensure even baking. Bake 12-15 for smaller cookies (I found that 10-11 minutes was perfect), 14-17 for larger ones or until the tops are a light golden brown. If the cookies are neither firm nor dark when they are removed from the oven, they will cool chewy and soft. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Thanks for the recipe Katrina!

6 comments:

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Oh my I think I just gained back some weight. he he It looks really good. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

theresa said...

Good ol' Dove! What a sweetie, that Duane.

I'm glad you got back on the horse, so to speak! My step-dad is notorious for "mis-hearing" lyrics to songs and things like that. I think that is an incredible talent! I LOVE it! I have a friend whose mom says "Saink" instead of Saint bacause that's how she misheard it as a child. That still makes me laugh! And I know my kids said "live sabres" or was it "light savers"...either way, it's a hoot.

Katrina said...

Awwwee, SO glad you feel better now what with that awesome Emergency Kit and some great chocolate chip cookies! Thanks for loving me and my blog!
I've been the one known to pronounce words wrong--a few choice ones---this is how I pronounced these:
phot-o-graph-e (photography)
speed-o-meter (speedometer)
od-o-meter (odometer)
Yah-t-zee (duh)
oh, just to name a few...I've been teased all my life about these.
Not to mention when I was about 17, keeping in mind I was 17, not 3, my family and I were at a Golden Corral type place and I said in 100% seriousness to my mom, "Mom, what part of the cow do the ribs come from?" She looked at me in shock and with a sweet tender love said, "The ribs". For some reason I just seriously could not think where the ribs we eat came from--DUH!
Sorry, went off on ya there.
SO glad you found a chocolate Light Saber! ;)

Sally said...

And they were DELICIOUS!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Becky,
Just checking in to say HI! Love the new header cute picture. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Real Life Roberts said...

you know that I have the same confession...besides the chocolate love...I tend to hear words different than they really are, but I swear by it and am ery stubbern to back down that I might be wrong. Me and lyrics are so bad...Todd is always correcting me and feeling bad that are children learn nursery rhymns not the classic way! oh well.

Each day to live....

Finding the little things in the day that make me smile.



Duane's last Dance

Total Pageviews