Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh, to be a dog

This week I started Weight Watchers. Yes I've reached a point of personal disgust(mine just happens to be on a lower scale of standards than others) and a need to keep up with my children better. It's tough! I love to eat, nibble, munch and crunch anything yummy and delicious(carrots and celery not included).
On the same day I started my "new way of eating" my big oaf Copper went to the vet for a butt boo boo. Now everybody knows about my carb junkie dog, he and I were cut from the same cloth, just different species. He loves all things cakes, pies, donuts, a real Homer Simpson of the Golden Retriever world. Copper also was discovered to have a thyroid problem, maybe part of the reason he topped out at 135 pounds. Since starting on his thyroid pill big guy has lost about 20 pounds, with just a pill!! Sickening huh? Makes one think how sweet life would be if you were a dog.
Seriously got me thinking. If I were Copper I could eat a whole loaf of bread, people would laugh and say "what a cute fat girl, that Becky!" Or how about laying around the house all day long, only getting up to eat, poop, and get an occasional scratch and a "who's a good girl, you are, you are!". Quite the life.

But then again, I take all that back. When I have a butt boo boo I wouldn't want to be caught dead in this cone head contraption.


16 comments:

Kory Jane said...

Don't you just love the pros and cons and everything. At least it makes it endurable to not be something else. There are always the cons hanging around. I agree, I don't think I could be seen with the cone and some of the other habits of a dog. You will do great with WW, I am going to rejoin after the baby as well. So if you need some encouragement I will always be there to help. And just as an afterthought, why can't Celery and Carrots taste like chocolate?

Angela said...

This is very true however I seriously doubt you would try to lick or bite at your butt boo boo! Too cute!

Shelby said...

You are not alone in your dieting venture. Us food bloggers have it hard!! Beautiful dog! My son and DIL have a golden also and they are beautiful animals!

Hilary said...

Great shots of Copper! Thanks for sharing the dog pictures :)
Hilary

Julie said...

Cute dog! We have a black lab/border collie.

Julie said...

Cute dog! We have a black lab/border collie.

Marrdy said...

Oh my goodness. You made me sit here and giggle at work. Very professional I think. Good for you to take the step to better health. And yes, a dogs life would be great. (minus the head cone!)

Rachel said...

I'm sitting here chuckling away...oh to be a dog! Except for the cone thing...and come to think of it, the reason for the cone thing, too! Poor Copper! I didn't know that dogs could have thyroid problems too! I guess it makes sense. And don't we all wish we could just take a pill to lose some weight?

Tracy said...

Hi There,
I would like to tell you how we are praying for you every day. You have a beautiful family and your soul mate left you a wonderful legacy. God Bless you. I MUST share
Please try, the kids still need chocolate,,,,
Crunchy Choc Bars.

bake 1 box fudge brownie mix as directed. bake 5 to 7 min longer so the middle is done. let cool completely. Frost with container of cream cheese frosting, refridge to set and hurry up the process so you can eat them sooner. When set, in med sause pan melt:
1c.peanut butter
2c.choc chips, stir til melted, add
3c.rice crispies, stir up, pour on,
let set up and get out the milk.

Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think.. takaknapp@aol.com

Sally said...

Poor Copper, that really did look aweful. Good luck with the weight watchers. Josh has done it before and they really do have some yummy chocolate recipes.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the WW... I am trying too...having a hard time the last few weeks... but hoping I will get back on track.
Hope the butt boo boo gets better!

Katrina said...

Great post! Thanks for the smile!

theresa said...

I rarely laugh OUT LOUD in a room by myself, but this post made me crack up. The picture of Copper upside down smiling is hilarious! I wish I was a better support for the WW...I really had to bite back snarky comments during the meeting. Why oh why is it so freaking hard to lose weight!!?? Back to Copper...poor pup with the head cone. Jonesy got out of his easily and licked his boo boo constantly and lived to tell. Poor dog walked backwards with the thing on. It totally freaked him out! Copper looks pretty casual there with his on. He's too cool to care!

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

LOVE the pictures...and best of luck on your WW journey! BTW, I LOVE the song on your blog page!

modern myrtle home said...

You're going to do awesome on WW! Good for you. You've definitely just been through (and are still going through) something *way* harder than passing up a cookie. You are going to rock at this! Let me know if you'd like a walking buddy. It would be fun to chat. :)

The 4-Crows Blog said...

Good for you on WW. I also joined two weeks ago & am keeping an update weekly on my progress. Check my blog out! You'll do great!
Your dog is beautiful!

Each day to live....

Finding the little things in the day that make me smile.



Duane's last Dance

Total Pageviews