Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Needing a John Walsh intervention

Everyone please tell me that you've had stupid moments like this, and even if you haven't just lie to me.
Look at that sweet freckly face. Now before you finish this sentence go look up John Walsh's number and schedule an intervention for me please. Did you do it? Oh well, I warned you, anyway...
Last night the doorbell rang. The monkeys go scurrying to the door(because they have never seen another human being before) and when no one opens it I realize it's a stranger and come to the door. When I open the door this kind looking man looks down at Copper and says "Oh, ok he's not yours" and then proceeds to tell me about a lost dog he found while jogging. Are you getting the jest of my story yet? When he describes the dog, which does sound like a golden retriever, I then loose all brain cells and motherly instincts and say to Katie, that cute freckly faced girl, "Go out and see if that's Laura lee's dog". Every lecture about not falling for the "lost dog" trick or walking up to a strangers car flew out of my naive, trusting mind! Can you believe it? I am too dang trusting, and just a tad bit dingy.
Of course I instantly changed my mind and went out with her, still stupid. What was funny, not until he opened his car door to show us the dog did it dawn on me what I had done, or what we could have just walked into. Have you called John Walsh yet? Then for the next hour and a half I balled my eyes out because I had just won the crappiest mother of the year award, not one I wanted to win. Let us all pray now for the safety of my children!

13 comments:

modern myrtle home said...

Oh, Becky. You are just like every other Mother, who loses their mind in the moment of blindly trusting the person in front of us. We recently had a huge scare that I can't share, but believe me, I understand the feeling you feel. Count it as a lesson learned. The big lesson that I took from my experience is that I will never again put me or my family at risk because I am worried about hurting someone's feelings, or appearing rude. I'm so glad that you and your Monkeys are safe. Love ya!

Katrina said...

Sometimes I just don't even answer the door, even while the kids are looking out the window at the knocker! BUT, you ARE human and how scary! Still, at least you went outside with her! See, you're a good mom! Thanks for the reminder!

theresa said...

Oh, man!! We JUST had this conversation YESTERDAY!!! Remember Duane's words: Never let them in! I am just like you, though. I would have done the exact same thing. Believe me, I once had a guy clean my carpets with a teeny tiny cleaner because I couldn't say no. Nor could I get him out of my house! How about the spray cleaner guys? Sheesh. Ask me how many magazine subscriptions I used to have. Thank goodness for the voice of reason (Mike). You are doing great, Becky. Luckily this little wake up call eneded well and next time you'll remember what to do. I KNOW you will.

Quin's momma said...

We all have moments of weakness, and we want to trust in the human decency and kindness. You at least thought about what could have happened...I'm so dingy sometimes that I don't think I would have thought about it.

Anonymous said...

I have an article that may interest you, "Love His Views or Hate Them, Dr. Klein has an Opinion on Sex Offenders and Protecting Your Children."

http://cfcoklahoma.org/New_Site/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=0&func=view&id=657&catid=41#657

Kory Jane said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone has those lovely brain farts on occasion. One time Corey thought I was watching Gabe and I thought Corey was watching Gabe and so after we were outside for about 30 minutes I ask him where Gabe is. He said I thought he was with you. I start to panic, see a police car half way down the road and come to find out Gabe at not even two years old wanders down the street and luckily a nice older lady took him in and called the police. I would much rather have John Walsh called on me then the local police department.

Anonymous said...

oh please give yourself a hug... be nice, or I'll have Jessie kick your butt!

I will have to email you something I read last week... but your honey is protecting you guys too, don't ever forget that!

Lisa said...

Oh honey, you are way to hard on yourself. You are a very safe person. I'm glad everything worked out well in that situation.

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for the reminder!!! I'm so glad that you listened to that last minute prompting to go with her! And, I must agree that you are being too hard on yourself! Just accept it for what it is: a timely reminder from Heavenly Father (and Duane) that you have to always keep these kinds of precautionary thoughts in mind more now that Duane is not there to think of them for you! And never forget that you ARE a wonderfully strong mother!
P.S. And yes, I've certainly had my share of little safety "brain farts", just ask Rick!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Becky I think every parent does something like this once in a while. I think it is God's way of giving us a wake-up call to get back to our instincts.
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Julie said...

I'm dingy, too. We've all been there!

Skogkjerring said...

Hi, just happened upon your blog after visiting American in Norway's blog. SEVEN kids??!!! AND a dog!!!??? I'm down on my knees singing your praises...ok...I'm not singing really...that would scare you..and me...but WOW!!!

You know I would have opened the door and fallen for the lost dog thing too...it happens. You'll know better next time!
I'll be back and check on the adventures of your super family!!!
P.s. Your dog is just ADORABLE. We're a bit addicted to dogs around here...

Kacey! said...

scary man!!!! no i have not called john whats his face but man thats scary!!!!!!!!

Each day to live....

Finding the little things in the day that make me smile.



Duane's last Dance

Total Pageviews