Friday, February 6, 2009

Chocoholics Anonymous-White Chocolate Cheesecake

Look at that beauty, drool with me now, and yes, you have my permission to be green with envy because this is the most wonderful tasting, satisfying cheesecake you will ever devour! Every year for my little sister's birthday I make this White Chocolate Cheesecake from a recipe book I would cry if I lost. Death by Chocolate by Marcel Desaulniers was a present from my honey many, many, many year ago. I think it could have been our first Christmas together. I love this cookbook, not that I make a lot of recipes from it, but that the pictures alone are scrumptious, and of course this recipe is worth it weight in gold.

Duane and I dubbed this cheesecake, 2 a.m. cheesecake because that was the approximate time the cheesecake would finally make it into the fridge. I've always been a late night baker, kids are going to bed, time to bake! Well when the process to make this baby takes around seven hours from start to finish starting to bake at 7 at night is not the best idea. But year after year I would fall into the same trap. Fortunately I had a fantastic husband who would get up at 1 in the morning to put the cheesecake in the fridge or worse, one year it was 3! I tell you these facts not to scare you off just to help you not fall into the same trap as myself. It really is worth the time. I hope you give it a whirl, I promise your family will sing your praises.


White Chocolate Cheesecake

Chocolate Cooke Crust
3 T melted butter
2 1/2 c chocolate cookie crumbs*



White Chocolate Cheesecake
18 oz white chocolate, broken into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 c heavy cream
1 3/4 lbs cream cheese, softened
1 c sugar
1 t salt
6 eggs
1 t vanilla extract



Chocolate Ganache
1/3 c heavy cream
1 T butter
1 T sugar
3 oz semisweet chocolate, broken into 1/2 inch pieces



Preheat oven to 325. Butter the inside of a 9x3 inch springform pan. Mix the cookie crumbs* and the melted butter together and press into the bottom and half way up sides of the pan. Place the pan into the freezer for at least 15 minutes.


Using a double boiler on medium high heat, melt together the broken pieces of white chocolate and 1/2 c heavy cream. Should take about 10 minutes to melt. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Set aside.


Place the cream cheese, 1 c sugar, and the salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle. Beat on low for 1 min, on medium for 1 min, and on high for 1 min. Scrape down the bowl, then beat on high for and additional minute. Scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs, 2 at a time, beating on medium for 15 seconds after adding, and scrape down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and the melted chocolate mixture, then beat on medium for 15 seconds. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Use a rubber spatula to finish mixing the batter until it is smooth and thoroughly combined. Pour the cheesecake mixture into the prepared springform pan, spreading evenly.


Place a pan partially filled with 4 c of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven( at least 3 inches below the center rack). Place the springform pan on the center rack of the oven and bake for 15 min. Lower the temp to 250 degrees and bake for 15 min. Lower the temp to 225 degrees and bake for 15 min. Then lower the temp to 200 degrees, and bake the cheesecake about 2 hours and 45 min. Turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to remain in the oven undisturbed for an additional 2 hours. Remove from the oven and cool at room temp for 1 hour. Refrigerate the cheesecake for 12 hours (leave in the springform pan).


After the cheesecake has been refrigerated for 12 hours, prepare the chocolate ganache. Heat 1/3 c heavy cream, 1 T butter, and 1 T sugar in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Place the semisweet chocolate in a bowl. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 3-4 min. Stir until smooth. Pour over the top of the chilled cheesecake. Use a rubber spatula to spread the ganache evenly over the top. Refrigerate for 30 min. To serve take a warm damp towel and wrap it around the sides of the springform pan. The heat should loosen the sides of the cheesecake enough that it releases perfectly. Serve the cheesecake with a puree of raspberries.
*I use 2 ready made oreo pie crusts that I smush into crumbs. You can make chocolate cookies and make crumbs out of them or just use chocolate graham crackers too.


Well worth the effort, time, and calories! And now you know why I call it 2 a.m. Cheesecake!!

15 comments:

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Oh my goodness this looks so so very yummy! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Quin's momma said...

That looks positively sinful!!!!

Meg said...

I love cheesecake and I love my big sister even more because every year she makes this for me. It is my all-time favorite dessert. Trust me when I say, it is THE best cheesecake in the world. Thank you Becky for always making it for me.

Brenda said...

That, my friend, is a thing of beauty. Might need to be the grown-up treat for Valentine's Day!

Katrina said...

Whoa! Not sure what else to say, just Whoa!! sigh...

Anonymous said...

laying here in bed with the flu but that picture made me forget my head weighs a ton... thank you I HAVE to try that some day.

Real Life Roberts said...

You've got me...I'm in love with cheesecake! I will take on the challenge and tell you how it goes...or maybe you'll get a call at 2 AM from me crying for help! heeehee!

Joni Gardine said...

My birthday's May 13.... ;)

Sarah Bowen said...

Man that looks so good! I love all the yummie chocolate stuff you post about! Hope you are doing well and we think of you often!!

Sally said...

Oh dear. I'm trying not to eat as much sugar anymore, but this picture is sure making it hard.

Julie said...

YUM

Marrdy said...

That looks delish!

Unknown said...

This white chocolate cheesecake is AMAZING !!! It takes a while to do , it’s a labor of love ... but the end result is a rich delicious treat that just feels classy !!

CatB60 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I previously have made this and set my sister in law up for failure as my brother continues to tell her "it wad good. But its not my sister's." I got a new house, new fridge, new oven, new weather, new elevation.. i have made it 3 times now and im heart hurts.. its a custard now and not a cheesecake.. You wouldnt happen to have any ideas would ya!!?? :)

Each day to live....

Finding the little things in the day that make me smile.



Duane's last Dance

Total Pageviews