Monday, November 18, 2013

Marching Band, not just halftime entertainment


The Pride of Broken Arrow performing 2013's Utopia



Dear Staff and Creative directors of the Pride of Broken Arrow,

For some time now I’ve been wanting to express my great appreciation to you and the entire Pride staff.  I’ve had the privilege to support 2 daughters in the color guard, Molly and Katie, with the hopes for the remainder of my 4 children left at home to march someday with the Pride.    Please bear with me as I try to express in words the feelings of gratitude in my heart.

I am keenly aware that parenting is all about teaching, guiding and finding those opportunities in life as they become available.  The past few months have been chopped full of those parenting moments for me, Katie and the rest of my children.  When I was diagnosed with cancer my world was shaken,  and I thought I had felt the deepest of earth trembling shakes when my husband had passed away, I was wrong.  Your eyes are opened wide when you are given the task of fighting for life,  I was awoken to what being a mother was really about, one of them being the joys of simple things. 

This year’s show, Katie’s first year performing with the Pride was a God given blessing to me and my family.  Funny that a high school marching band can move a 39 year old mother to such emotions but it has.  As the season progressed, Kate and I would have night time discussions after practice, after football games, after wonderful trips to super regionals about how simple and beautiful the show was and how the music was soul moving.  Those moments with my daughter are forever etched in my mind and I hope lasting memories for her as well, for isn’t that what life is really about, creating those memories?   Being curious about the music, one afternoon I took it upon myself to research.   Not being very musically knowledgeable, I had no background information about the music composed by Aaron Copland.  I was moved to tears when the feelings that I had recently began to appreciate about life was an inspiration for the music;  Simple Gifts, the shakers hymn being the inspiration behind his beautiful composition Appalachian Springs.

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right."
Katie Rose, center front color guard
I’m sure it was never your intentions to produce a show just for my family, I can just see you and Wes thinking “Hmm, how can we lift the spirits of the Summers family”  :)  But this is the purpose of my deepest thanks,  you did such this year when you guided, taught and inspired those children to become the best musicians and dancers they could possibly be.  You took beautiful music, the inspiration behind the music and produced something magical that I will never forget.  My family understands the importance of what this life is all about, time with each other, sharing opportunities, living life and enjoying the simplest of things, hugs, kisses, laughter, tears, joy and music. 

Thank you all for giving of so much of your life to this wonderful organization.  I will forever remember this time in my family’s life that we were taught and moved and lifted by something as simple as,  the Pride of Broken Arrow. 

Sincerely,

Rebecca

Katie Rose







10 comments:

OKTownsends said...

That was beautiful Becky. I don't think we can thank enough the adults in our children's lives who have given them opportunities to shine.

Kory Jane said...

Was that Katie? Oh my goodness....I can't believe that. I have been gone way too long.

Becky said...

Can you believe Kory how much she's grown up? She'll be 16 soon! Ack! Although, I'm pretty sure Katie will forever be my Tinkerbell.

Marrdy said...

Beautiful post and one of my favorite songs. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Marrdy said...

How are you doing Becky? Hope you are hanging in there!

Unknown said...

What an encouraging story. Every kid should have Mother like you.

marching band compositions

Ajazgames said...

I have seen some posts on this website and I think that your blog is very interesting and has lots of excellent information. Keep up the great work.



escape games
new escape games
Point and click games
free online escape games
online escape games

peter x said...

Buy OldSchool RS Gold 5%off Code"rs2hot". Enjoy Secure Trade Guarantee Anytime. 24 hrs Customer Service.100% Delivered or Refund. Sign Up Get Special Offer. Types: OSRS Gold, RS3 Gold, 07 RS Accounts, RS Accounts.
Rs Gold
runescape gold
runescape gold
buy runescape gold
buy runescape gold
old school rs gold
cheap runescape gold
buy rs gold
buy rs gold

chengqi said...

When You're A Bridesmaid In Too Many Weddings

We've all been Katherine Heigl's character within the movie "Here" where we've committed ourselves to as being a bridesmaid in multiple weddings in a single year. It reaches a point where rather than being grateful and happy you're area of the wedding, it's much more of "Oh gosh, not another wedding!" But it doesn't invariably need to believe way, there are many things you are able to do not to feel overwhelmed using the wedding duties which have been bestowed upon you with a close friend or member of the family.

It's Easy: You can just say "No." Well, it isn't always easy, however, you can say no if you believe you simply cannot invest in being part of another person's wedding day. Kindly explain the main reason to the bride. It could be as easy as a scheduling conflict along with other weddings and life, or financial reasons. Either way, you are able to decline.

Budget Yourself: There is no have to go overboard inside your spending for that weddings. While each wedding varies with what is expected individuals financially, it is possible to cut corners. For example, wearing exactly the same shoes to multiple weddings you are in, getting your hair done with a friend or member of the family, doing all of your own makeup. Splurge only on which is absolutely necessary and learn how to budget the remainder.

Keep Yourself Organized: It's so easy to get rid of track of various wedding-related events happening, to ensure that is why you should keep a calendar to help keep you organized. While we strongly don't recommend Katherine Heigl's calendar within the movie, something more digital is most likely better. If you aren't an electronic savvy person, purchase a great day planner and begin writing those events down!

Remember You: Don't forget you've got a life too! Weddings aren't the one thing going on inside your life, you've got a champagne bridesmaid dresses, a house, expenses of your. It's important to create time for yourself within the midst of the madness that's weddings.

Looking for shoes and accessories for that many weddings you are in? Check out Dessy.com!

Cecilia said...

There are many games on the Internet, but one of them is your favorite.


There are many ways to get happiness, and getting happiness in games is my happy way. I am a relatively quiet person, and I like to be alone. But I also like the friendly atmosphere. Therefore, the game Animal Crossing New Horizons is very suitable for me. I choose Buy Bells Animal Crossing at ACBellsBuy.com. Fortunately, I enjoyed 15% off. This is a surprise to me.

Each day to live....

Finding the little things in the day that make me smile.



Duane's last Dance

Total Pageviews